Search Engine Optimizations (SEO) could be quite challenging for beginners. It's overwhelming the amount of information that a webmaster need to understand in order to make his websites visible, in search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, ... Moreover most of this information is quite disperse. The idea here is to provided all the needed information in one place. Starting from steps for all websites and then focusing on Drupal SEO modules.
- Sign upin the webmaster tools for the main search engines:
- Verification. The next step is to get your website verify by each the search engines that you signed up. There are several options in the verification process, as you can see in their websites. You can choose from: uploading a file to you web directory, or adding a text string in your host name, or adding a meta tag and other methods.
- Metrics. Before optimizing your website you have to "know your number", so you can see if what you are doing is working. Your numbers are the amount of visitors, webpage clicked, top visitied pages. For that, there are free tools available, I have used the following ones.
- Google Analytics: it's a very good tool, provides a lot of information such as, number of visitors, top clicked pages, visitor's browsers, OS, screen resolution, ISP and more!
- The Webalizer is a free web server log file analysis program. It produces detailed usage reports in HTML format. It's a program installed on the linux server. (in ubuntu servers just run # sudo apt-get install webalizer)
- AWStats is a free powerful and featureful tool that generates advanced web, streaming, ftp or mail server statistics, graphicall.
- Checklist. Every webmaster tool from the different search engines has their checklist and guidelines. Go through them (in the future, I will post a summary here)
Drupal Modules Read here for now (I will make my own list in the future)